Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Project Genesis 9/1/2011


Mother Nature has been wielding 
a heavy hand the past couple of years,
and many people are suffering.
Although there is only so much we are 
able to do to protect ourselves from
occurrences beyond our control, we are not helpless.
We can prepare as much as possible. 
I have had this discussion numerous times with friends
and find my nagging  advice is rarely heeded.
So...once again with enthusiasm, I shall
be the one asking you..
"ARE YOU PREPARED?"

Do you have enough stored water to support
your family's needs for a minimum of three days?
Batteries, lights, food, diapers, medicine?
Are your personal essential papers, 
and photographs copied and in a safe location, 
that is NOT your home?
Do you have an outside number 
where your family can call into
to check in on each other, in case communication
 in some areas of the country are down?
My kids and I will call my brother in another state
to leave messages for each other, 
via Red Cross if necessary.

Do you have a will, a trust for your kids, 
power of attorney for medical and financial, a DNR?
I do not have a crystal ball that predicted disaster
will never come my way, so I will be prepared 
to the best of my ability.

What does this have to do with PG?
I believe it is our obligation to 
take care of ourselves, as much as possible, 
before expecting help elsewhere.
That way the neediest get help first,
reducing strain on our public services.

Of course catastrophic events happen
 that are impossible to prepare for but we 
should never have to say
 "I wish I had, I never expected.. if only..."
Am I ready?
to all of the above...YES, and more.
Here is how prepared you too can easily be.
This is a system I developed a few years ago.




These two wheeled medium size trash cans
contain enough supplies to take
 care of a family of four for over a week.
Right next to them is sufficient water, sleeping bags,
a first aid kit, extra clothing and a tent. 
I grab those, the food in the pantry I have set aside, 
and in under five minutes we can hit the road,
 if we have to evacuate.
I can cook, clean, shower, etc. 
There are leashes, bowls
 and stakes for the pooches, 
and even an emergency toilet.
Knowing I am ready does give me
 comfort and piece of mind.


Maybe you don't wish to go this far, 
I am known to take it to the extreme, 
( no comments you local chums)
but I'm guessing there is something 
you could/should be doing
to be just a bit more ready 
when a bad day comes.
Why not start today?


Please join us here and remember
*Link to your PG post not just to your blog
*Please no self promotion
*Please no thrifting or upcycle posts
I reserve the right to edit any links :D





11 comments:

marcela cavaglieri said...

I must admit: I am never prepared...as stupid as it sounds!! There is always an excuse, a bad one. I MUST do something about it, thank you for nagging!!

Razmataz said...

Z, I am not prepared at all. Given that we are in Florida right now, I certainly need to give this thought. Thank you for an enlightening post. I think the leashes and hitching posts for the dogs are a very good idea. People with a cat should also have a crate because cats get funny in the car or in stressful situations. My friends lost their cat in an underground parking lot. They were carrying it to the car when the overhead door opened and scared the cat. It freaked out and ran away. They never found it.

the old white house said...

I have so much to learn. I would make a joke here about grabbing a box of frosted flakes but you are so right, we need to have a better plan. Thanks for the great idea and of course for the party with the power to help one another.
t. xoxoxoxo

Tanya said...

GREAT idea, Z...will actually run with this one - I thinkmy husband will actually love something I pulled from the internet! :-)

Gail said...

First time I've heard about PG, & I'll read more today. Great idea. Remind us to each to be responsible for herself.
I store extra dry pet food in metal trash bin, small enough I can push.
I buy toiletries, cleaning products, and some food basics when on sale and I have a coupon.
So during this past week of earthquake, smoke from Dismal Swamp, & Hurricane Irene (central VA) I was okay while we didn't have power for 4 days. Thanks VDOT for clearing the roads.
Keep up the good work to spur us toward responsibility.

Carole said...

I am going to copy and paste this info and get started on kit.......more storms coming ya know....yick

Jane said...

You and my husband would get along great! Thanks to him we are fully prepared for an emergency. We have all the necessary supplies to last for a week, all of our important documents are in the safety deposit box at the bank (including a back-up drive of our computer), the will is up to date and medical directives have been drawn up and signed. It does give one peace of mind. Thanks for sharing these awesome tips with everyone!
Jane

erin's art and gardens said...

hey girlie, great advice!! you would think after last years devastating flooding here in nashville and being cut off from the rest of the world for four days, that i would be more prepared.....but i am not. thanks for the reminder.
erin
xxoo

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I just found you via another blog. Great advice on preparedness. I like your idea of having supplies stored in large plastic trash cans...with wheels. It makes the whole process so much more convenient. And who can really think of everything they might need IN THE MIDST of a crisis?! Much better to be prepared ahead of time.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Jillayne said...

Nope - I am not prepared - not at all. Ick, and I say that shamefaced. Given all of what we have seen in the news of late, and my serious desire to never be a burden on anyone, it's most surprising to me that I have done nothing to truly be prepared. I am thinking I need to rethink this...
Great post and a good reminder.
It's such a no-brainer...

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Excellent post ~ I totally agree... Glad I stumbled upon your Blog. :~)