Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kitchen- The process continues

The Kitchen:
Pretty self explanatory


Master Howie tucked under the bench
He thinks we can't see him.
Gonna paint those stools some day...
been going to for..oh..about....
15 years
Now at the top of my list,
after the new shades for family room.


Bananas usually in the egg basket


Cookie jar empty - good thing
no temptation


Onions usually in smaller copper 
in front and garlic in crock.
No bananas, cookies, garlic, or onions...
Hey, I need to go to the market







Be Brave - a secret note here to a bloggie friend



At least I have apples.
Anyhoot, if you are planning on stopping by, either
bring food or give me a heads up, the cupboards,
and counters are bare.
******
Many of you have commented and emailed your
personal path of purging/ paring down, 
and inquired how to do it.
Since I do this often for many others, I can 
only say it is a process and some of you will need 
to go slowly or risk being overwhelmed, and some of you
will go crazy and tear it up and
 then put it all back together...
Do what works for you.
Design the way that makes you happy.
Use what YOU have, before acquiring the new.
 You may get inspiration from others,
but replicating it may not bring you satisfaction.

Deal in realities and follow your own heart.
My photos are straight out of the camera,
nothing is staged or moved ..
( except for the paper towel holder Tot lol)

A home should always be a process of evolution,
 never stagnant. 
Just as we grow and learn as we age,
so our homes should mature and 
change with us. It should reflect us  
at our current stage in life, 
not the life we were living 30 years ago, 
or even five years ago.
Sometimes just removing unnecessary stuff
 is all you need to do to have 
a brilliant new perspective and view.


My home gives me a sense of peace, 
of refuge, when I walk in the door.
Shouldn't yours?
It's a process. Begin.

21 comments:

Kit said...

Ahhh, you know just how to say what is in my head. I like it! Just finished painting my kitchen a soothing green. So different from my bright red. I think I have changed from "screaming" who I am, to "saying" hey this is me. :) Kit

Rebecca said...

Ooooh so pretty! I will have to go through and look again... you are such an inspiration! Everything is beautiful and I love what you have to say... for years I have been saying, it is your home... have fun with it!
Blessings today
RE

gail said...

Love your words, Suzanne. Inspirational and so true. We are always evolving, and if our home is our refuge, which for most of here in bloggie land it is, then your home should reflect your evolution!
thanks for your very smart thoughts!
gail

Amy Kinser said...

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I am really trying to keep only what I love or really need.

I love your chalkboard and your cutting boards. I love the pieces in your kitchen that have your bowls on them. Your wooden cooking utensils look great in your crocks. I love the quantity you have because it makes such a statement.

Everything is so very pretty and cozy.

Donna Reyne' said...

I got the secret message! HAH!
You made me laugh!
(Thank you for that!)
What color are your cabinets? They are so...wonderful and warm!
I love kitchens that feel cozy like this!
Another beautiful room in your home!
Yep, I could live here!
Have a wonderful evening and Thank you for everything!
Hugs my dearest
Donna

Teri said...

Love your home!!! I have some of the prim components but not the entire look yet. :-( ...and I have a loooooong ways to go before it's all neat and organized. I love your blog!!!

Unknown said...

I spent the entire afternoon last Friday with FIL going through 'the linens". Since MIL died, two years ago, he has been totally at a loss at what to do with all the stuff.
So he and I, looked at each tablecloth, placemat, serviette, doilley..,croched do-dad...(all 7 drawers-full of them), talked about it, thought about it, and decided whether it should be in his house or not.
At the end of the day, we have two drawers of things he can use, two large boxes for the granddaughters to look through and the rest to the Goodwill.
Such a process.

Razmataz said...

Please come to Florida and help me set up house.......

Stealing the idea of the white crocks with the wooden spoons......

the old white house said...

Oh I just love every square inch of it... truly love it! I only wish my house was so clean without being staged, sad but true. Right now my dining room table is full of wool and grain sack scraps. That's a good thing, right? I am loving every minute of it so, yes, it's a good thing, a very good thing. :O
Now what to make for dinner.
t. xoxoxoxoox

btw: your calendar is fabu!

the old white house said...

Oh I just love every square inch of it... truly love it! I only wish my house was so clean without being staged, sad but true. Right now my dining room table is full of wool and grain sack scraps. That's a good thing, right? I am loving every minute of it so, yes, it's a good thing, a very good thing. :O
Now what to make for dinner.
t. xoxoxoxoox

btw: your calendar is fabu!

Jill said...

I just love touring your home!

Low Tide High Style said...

Z your home is always an inspiration. And You have inspired me in more ways than you know! I love the secret note, we should all learn to Be Brave!

Kat :)

Old Time Cindy said...

Like you style!

WhiteWhispers2u said...

I am lovin your counters and I want some too! I myself am purging for sure.It all looks great, my kind of style~Cheers Kim

Faded Charm said...

Looks like such an inviting kitchen to sit, relax and munch on whatever is available:-)

I'd love to be able to visit in person....and I mean really. Maybe we can work something out in the near future Z. I'd love it:-)

xoxo
Kathleen

Norine ~rosethoughts~ said...

Suzan...Your cabinets are painted the color of my kitchen walls...beautiful!
Norine
sncento@yahoo.com

Robin Larkspur said...

Fantastic post with excellent advice! I adore all your wood kitchen implements and storage. Thanks for the inspiration. When you go to the market, could you pick me up some milk?

time worn interiors said...

I was really worried that you didn't at paper towels to the list for the market! Hahahahaha! How in the world do you manage without them!

I did get rid of my microwave a couple of months ago, well it broke and I never bought another one! Don't think I'm going to now! People lived for years without one!

Now my dishwasher is broke! Don't think I'm gonna buy another one of those either! Just Craig and I and we don't have that many dishes! We'll see!

I'm going back to my roots! Sorta! Don't think I could live without air conditioning!

tot

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Hey Z...I so enjoyed perusing your kitchen. I don't think I have ever see it before. Of course...it's awesome!

I'm s l o w l y getting my stuff in order, and you are always a source of inspiration.

Keep on keeping us motivated!

xx,
Susie

beth said...

i love your house....i really do !
that little wall cabinet with the round mirror and the chalk board on the door.....LOVE LOVE LOVE....

if ever come to visit and those suddenly disappear....well......LOL

The Boston Lady said...

Love those green cabinets with the white knobs. Everything is lovely and I like your philosophy of your home not being stagnant and a reflection of who you are today. Ann