Sunday, June 13, 2010

CHANGE IS GOOD?


As you may remember my dearest son is moving to New York City. This Tuesday is the day, and he and his girlfriend drove his car here last Thursday to store until they decide if NYC is going to work out like they have planned.

Since they both are still tele-commuting with their jobs in Portland, this is what I have viewed at my dining room table for the past three days.

We did have a garage sale Saturday to sell off his post college belongings that have been stored here for several years. The sale was only moderately successful, and two full carloads went to the Goodwill post sale. We had a lovely day for it, but only about 25 % of my usual number of customers. Holding a garage sale is not the most conducive environment for pleasant conversation, and then they were off to dinner downtown, so it feels like we have hardly visited.

I suppose it would not matter if they were home for 1 week, 2 weeks or 3, it would still never be enough time. Tomorrow will be their pack up day
for the airplane and things to ship.

The only constant in my life these days is change.

Not my favorite thing, but I'm learning.
Gritting my teeth at times, but learning.


Just as he gets settled in there, darling daughter arrives back home.
But only for a little while, and then...

Change is good right?

Suzan

7 comments:

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Suzan,
I can imagine it must be hard for you to see your kids come and go. Fingers crossed that once they have settled you can move closer to where they'll live! Only a few weeks left now until my dd goes to Buffalo Uni. Tommorow she's flying to Berlin to get her Visa.

So when are your friends coming to Bremen, wasn't it some time in June, or did they change their plans?

How's your garden doing? Here the roses have finally started to bloom yeah!

Love your white Ufo btw, what a labor of love! I think it will look splendid at Christmas!

Oh and about the oil spill desaster in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm so entirely shocked and the news about it make me wanna cry all the time. I found this site http://www.healthygulf.org/
through the blog of Cathrine of Character Constructions and I took action and wrote a mail to BP through this: http://action.healthygulf.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=3796
and told them to finally clean up their mess.
This is such an unbelievable desaster!

Anyway sending you my best wishes for a happy week my friend!

xoxo~ Carola

Anonymous said...

They grow up and move out and we see them less and less as their lives get busier. All I know to do is to get busy doing the kinds of things I couldn't find time for while they were home. I'm still adjusting to the change.
Hugs,
Zuzu

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ah Suzan, I have found that change is...well change. It usually stretches us. Sadly, the older I get the more difficult it is to stretch :)
Found you thru Karen Valentine's site and I'm happy I did. Lotsa food for thought here.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Suzan
Look at your beautiful kids!!! Well I think you should enjoy every moment of crazy kid havoc as when they leave you will miss them again...

Too bad about the garage sale!!! You should come here and do one for me.. you would have a field day!!! haha.. would save me packing and moving it all!!! Have a great day my friend.. xxx Julie

Unknown said...

Change is hard and good all at the same time.
I wish your kids great success in the future.

erin's art and gardens said...

i LOVE and embrace change...don't know why, i always have...i guess i know that there's something better waiting out there? still, watching the kiddos fly the coop is real hard and bittersweet...o.k. girl, it's time for YOU now! obviously you have a talent for photography...i just love the shots of your kids!!! gotta tell you, your son and my son could be related (anyone ever tell him he looks like the actor Ryan Gosseling?) and the shot of your daughter is so cool. you should frame that one. embrace the change my dear (i know it's hard) and know that you've done a good job and it's time to let them fly........like zuzu said "get busy".
take care sweety,
erin

Carole said...

LOve the picture of Hannah...very pensive. Too bad the tag sale wasn't a big turn out....they can be so much work for little results. Hope Ben wasn't too disappointed.
xxx
Carole
ps...i don't like change that much either...unless it's plants:))