Sunday, January 21, 2024

Weaving 2


After seeing what I'd been up to, 
Hannah thought she might like some woven coasters
 and picked out this yarn. When I finished the first one 
I could tell she wasn't crazy about it,
so I offered to go yarn hunting again yesterday. 


This won't be a loss. I went back in and opened up 
the ending and I will splice more cording and continue on and
turn this into a mat, or a small rug, hehe as I bought quite a bit of yarn.
She remarked that she wanted the next set to be
 in the same vein as a mat that I was working on for myself.

This one 
Colors are muted yellow, ivory and very dark grey.
I'm loving these as they are super sturdy, not floppy and soft. 
Perfect projects while couch streaming shows late into the night. 


I stood in the store and sent her pics of three color combos
and we settled on this one. I want to complete my mat first
 to avoid yet another Incomplete project. 
Her coasters will be tan, med grey, and an off white tweed blend.


Many years ago, I went with friends and our kids 
to a basket weaving class.
The adults liked it so much we continued on with adult classes 
and eventually met once a week to weave splint style baskets,
after dropping our kids off at school. 
I made maybe 20 all together but only have maybe 10 still.
Made all the painted except for white ones.






Some I painted, some I left natural.
I am by no means an artist in this medium, 
more of a crafter, but it passes the time and 
I'm making useful things.

I only kept one that I made 27 years ago using reed and raffia and 
even though it has uneven flaws (star points)  I am very proud of that one.
 


I'd love to make more, but it involves wet work,
 soaking reed and raffia and my aging hands
 would not fare well with that. 
It is basically the same wrap/joining process.


My gas bill arrived today.
It is now double what it has ever been before.
Hope those executives and shareholders are enjoying
 the huge profits and dividends they're receiving on the backs
of low income folks.

My thermostat is set at 68, so doesn't run all the time,
and my downstairs is freezing cold.
I'm wearing sweaters, bundled in blankets and wooly socks.
Three sets of comforter and blankets on the bed upstairs. 
Wore a sweater to sleep last night,
and paying 326.00 for the privilege.

Latest study showing enormous corporate profits are the cause
 behind inflation and gas prices, food prices.
They have no plans to reduce profits - 
and most just gave executives raises,
 and larger golden parachutes.
Did you know other countries have laws in place to prevent this,
along with laws against these mega mergers that destroy competition
allowing even more increases?
 
 we're screwed 

But I bet they sleep well.

Z






 

1 comment:

susan hemann said...

First of all, I'm in total agreement about the profits off the working class. I too have my thermostat set at 60 and am freezing. I wear a hat all day. I'm freezing. I have poor circulation because I'm in a wheelchair.

Personally, I love the colors in the weaving piece your daughter doesn't like. All of them are beautiful!