Thursday, April 7, 2022

A Studio Reboot

This is my dear friend Sue's Living/Dining Room.
Rarely is it used, and she hates going up the stairs to her studio, so 
about a month ago she decided to move her studio downstairs
into this room.


We talked it out a lot, and planned, and her first step was to rip out the carpet
and put in hardwood flooring to hopefully match the flooring in the rest 
of the house that was no longer available; and if it had been 
it would be way over budget.


Ignore stuff on the table she had begun to purge and she sold 
that china which always help the budget.
She also reduced by half the hummels in that glass cabinet,
and gave the cabinet to a family member.


The flooring was completed on Monday.
Meanwhile I assigned purging chores of her current studio to Sue and 
she really had her work cut out for her, and work she did!

For you see...


Not everything had to come down,
gift wrapping supplies and dollhouse and 
Misc supplies from years of teaching remained upstairs.
( the old studio now also needs an overhaul)




Like many clients I've had over the years Sue had to 
really think about what she wanted the new studio to look like,
how it would serve her, and then purge and plan with "intent".

You see, she is enclosing that new studio behind beautiful, 
expensive glass doors with a transom, 
as it is the first room you see as you enter the home
 and it is just a wide opening now. Being able 
to keep the studio looking fabulous at all times,
meant everything had to have a dedicated space
with the majority being behind a door or in a drawer.

Sue has many wonderful things, but as happens 
frequently when you collect so much, eventually you
just starting plunking things in anywhere they will fit

because...

you loved them once
you paid good money for them
or purging is just hard for you.


It had gotten away from her, working outside the home
 and Sue volunteers often, so while making gorgeous cards
is a passion, there wasn't time to stop and FIX things.

Enter - me

I arrived Wednesday, and Sue had already moved the furniture down and 
had started filling the cupboards in the way I explained that it should be done.
She did a fabulous job!

I tweaked the hutch she had begun, I'll explain later,
 and then planned the placement of machines, 
computer printer and with "intent" we selected what went on the walls
and the essentials to have within reach near her desk.

You get only one peek as everything wasn't in place just yet,
and I didn't get great shots anyway
but soon, this weekend for sure.


I convinced her to keep the matching dining hutch 
in the room as it offered great storage and
it provided  a wonderful way to display her travel treasures.

When I arrived she had styled it, but had mixed in vintage pieces
 she didn't know what to do with, along with these pieces she has collected
as she travels the world each year.

We had again the discussion of intention, and then I restyled
using only mementos from her trips, leaving room for 
future trips to come. She approved.

And there is the gorgeous floor!

Stay tuned


 




 

4 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ok... I am not going to admit to how much time I spent looking at each and every photo.... What an incredible space!! I loved it as a living/dining room (I am absolutely coveting her dining room set....It is exactly what I had in mind for the lake....and that HUTCH!! Gah!!) And all of Sue's crafting treasures.....!! I want to spend hours just looking at everything!! And how she cleverly stored things in those wonderful wall displays! I love everything .... even the "before" so anxious to see more of the "after".... Please do a close-up of the travel treasures displayed in the hutch...they look fascinating! And, again, how I wish you lived closer!! ~Robin~

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice, with intent.

With a reorganizing a room on my will do list, I will keep intent in mind.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

As soon as I saw the dining room hutch I drooled. It's looking awesome! Great use of that space. It will be well used and well loved. Can't wait for the final reveal. Good job ladies!

Jillayne said...

I also liked your choice of words "with intent". So often things are just found a home and though that didn't used to be my way but this past year I have slowly and steadily been working my way through all of my supplies and moving on everything that does not serve me. Space is beginning to open up but I'm not ready to re-organize until the purge is completely done - when I am ready I'll keep your phrase in my mind as guiding thought.
Looking forward to the big reveal...