Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Good Good Friends

 Another chicken dinner left by neighbor 
at my door today and my friend Paula 
came by and dropped off these two pkgs.
Tomato basil chicken and potatoes.
That's 8 meals for me!

We were able to chat a few minutes
 thru the screened window and she met Walter.
He barked a bit but then he doesn't really know
about other humans just yet.



I was also contacted by Shopping Angels
and a young volunteer will be going to 
Trader Joes for me tomorrow.
 I sorely miss their food.

A young college student started the
program in Reno for at risk seniors 
and it is spreading across
the nation. Each Instacart delivery
 was running me $15 which adds up 
on my wee budget
unless you do a mega order.

Volunteers only, not even allowed tips.
They are limited to 10 items, 
but I can use twice a month and save $45 a month.
If you know a senior who needs
this kind of help, maybe it is in your area also.

I am blessed to have good friends and
a young friend I'll meet tomorrow through my
screened window.

I'm shaking off the malaise of the past
couple weeks and I'm purging a little each day
and I'm tackling one room a day 
down to the baseboards, curtains washed etc.

It's exercise and I get tired by the end
which helps me sleep.
Every time I take Walter outside to "get busy"
 I whack off a few stray stems and pluck a few weeds.
Eventually the yard will be in better shape also.

It's all about the little actions,
be it a volunteer, a kind friend or TWO,
a plucked weed, a 4 legged friend bringing joy.

I pray the world wakes up to 
what a human being should be to another.
Humanity: noun 
1. the human race;
 human beings collectively:

all together

imagine

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"






6 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

Imagine...I love it! You sound good. Glad there are young people in the world who give of themselves. Walter looks like such good company...so precious.
Stay well,
Robyn

Terra said...

That sounds like a wonderful program you found where young people shop and deliver groceries at no charge. I put in my third Instacart order today and am very happy with it. Your neighbors are treating you well with those meal deliveries. Chats outside at 6 feet apart or through a screened window are precious these days.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I will say it again....you are incredibly fortunate to have such generous and kind neighbors/friends. How welcome those meals must be. I wish we had a deliver service here...even if we had to pay. We are so rural no one will deliver...no food places, and no stores. We do have a grocery that has a service where you shop/pay online and then pick up without going in the store...but the slots are always (and I do mean ALWAYS) completely filled. Wish they would give priority for those to the elderly and high risk folks like me. Oh well. C'est la guerre. Guess I will either catch it or not.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Amen! Imagine...one of my favourites. You are blessed with the kindness of others, that is so wonderful to hear. I have been making our meals here for 5 weeks now, decided it was time to order takeout and help a local restaurant. It felt great to take a night off cooking.(did I mention that I don't like to cook) Sewing, now that I like..I've been making masks for family and friends and today was scrub hats for our daughter's coworkers in ICU. They really need them. I asked that they send me an old scrub to remake, I have no cottons...sold and gave them all away last year when we moved...who knew! (I can make masks with the scraps...win win.) p.s. Walter is a gem xox.

Blondie's Journal said...

In a time when our 'leader' has divided the people in our country, and made a mockery of the federal government, sometimes the most humble and generous spirit of our fellow Americans become our anchor.

Blessings to you and all of the good your community offers. Now, I'd love to send you some of my famous potato casserole and spiced fresh corn-off-the-cob to go with your lovely chicken. Hmmmmmm...

Jane x

Jillayne said...

John Lennon - love that song, and yes, for the first time in a long while we are all in the boat... I think most people are pulling together, living their part of the bargain - just a few that have to be daft... a newscast here referred to them as "Covidiots" and I thought that was a good one.