Thursday, March 24, 2022

In The Garden

 I've been in the yard for over a week now, working very hard and

for very long hours. Walter keeps me company but also annoys me with 

the continual rock fetish and whine.

Badly neglected for over a year, I knew I had to get out there

and clean it up; not back to it's original glory,

but at least respected once more.



Solar fountains in the planter second from left. Hummers liking so far.



I put this planter together while watching This Is Us.
I moved herbs closer to porch this year, again hoping not to neglect.




I decided to place pots into the beds, or close by, so that

I could run drips to them. I think I got discouraged by the

demise of so many and the cost of losing so many over the years.

I've only begun snapping some photos to send the kids.

Once everything is in bloom, I'll try to remember to get more.

I sliced ( hacked) back the banks roses, filling about 8 huge bags worth of them alone,

so this year will not be the splendid dripping show as usual

but the roses should be healthier.

I look back at the enormous trees and green lawn

that once were and the dozens of blooming flowers I had everywhere,

and think about all the many changes over 29 years in this home.

It's hard sometimes, these changes, but now many are necessary.

Water issues, age issues, ability, and financial issues mandate change

whether I like it or not.

No matter though, as I am so blessed and grateful for 

what I still have.

Nights are still as sweet



For now I am not using my signature Z for 

the connotation is hurtful for some- instead I'll use

How it came to be: via my dear Macky

"SUZAN WITH A Z NOT AN S"





6 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

You continually amaze me my friend. Wow, just WOW! What an incredibly inviting space...and I am green with jealousy. Everything is so artistically placed and it makes one want to stop and linger... I can so relate to your observations about necessary, but often bittersweet, changes. Although we have a VERY brief growing season, my yard used to look beautiful...overflowing with annual, perennials, herbs, and everything blooming. My AS and other issues with my back made the watering and upkeep more and more difficult and I started cutting back each year. Then when we got the lake house, I cut back severely on the annuals as whatever I had "here" would die from lack of watering when I was "there" and what little I had "there" would die when I was "here." And, yes, the cost became prohibitive. A decent hanging basket here (if one can find them) can easily fetch $40-50. For the 3 months they are viable, it isn't worth it. Yes, I can do my own...but by the time the plants get established to look like anything, there is little time to enjoy before the frosts come. And I can no longer move pots and such to the garage or run around and cover everything. But each spring when it warms, I just am overwhelmed with urge...and the need...to dig in the dirt and plant things.... Yes, please do remember to take photos as things bloom!! Perhaps I can satisfy myself living vicariously. ~Robin~

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Love it all Suzan! It looks lovely and cozy. I have to get outside soon, still drizzly here. Rain, rain go away. No need for irrigation!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Looking good. Cleaning and clearing up garden space is tiring, and satisfying work. Solar fountains are on my list to look out for.

susan hemann said...

Your garden looks special as it is! When I first was confined to a wheelchair I thought my garden days were over. I spent an entire summer watching my garden go to pot. lol I was desperately depressed.
The next winter I was determined not to let the wheelchair get in my way. I spent time learning about handicapped gardens. I got involved in groups. I wasn't able to afford the tools and products designed for the handicapped. The director of one of the groups I was in contacted a tool company and they gifted me every kind of tool imaginable for gardening.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if it's not on the same scale as before, joy can be had in the small garden. The dooable garden.

Jillayne said...

I do love what you've done, and what you plan. Change, yes - the only constant... I have to remind myself that all the time as well. The more I simplify and clear out the more I want to so am grateful for that.
As far as the "Z" thing - it is so annoying when things we enjoy or identify with are hijacked and given new meaning. Many of us here in Canada are struggling with our flag now that the "Freedom" idiots have started waving it all over the place as they carry on with your protesting nonsense. And on it goes...

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

You just put together the most amazing spaces... truly beautiful, inviting, fun.