Wednesday, February 9, 2022

About Damn Time

A long while back I had mentioned I was digging
this project up out of the deep well of UFO's.
Well - that didn't happen.
I had all these log cabin squares completed but needed
 to make about another thirty.





I sold long ago the Bernina that these were pieced on,
and try as I might I couldn't reproduce them
to my approval on my Viking and with a different foot. 

Then my Viking went kapoot needing repair and the squares sat some more.

Yesterday I hauled them out and tried to figure
how to enlarge the quilt using these finished squares 
and adding borders or other piecing- whatever.

I remembered these pieced stars from even farther back.
These were made with hand drawn templates for petes sake!
So over twenty years ago. It was for a very ambitious quilt that bit the 
dust went my marriage imploded. 


Luckily my color pallets don't change much with the years,
as look how well this will work!


I did a few calculations and a primitive idea took shape. 



Dug out a new machine that I bought 10 years ago
 and had only used twice.

Took me hours to read the manual and figure how to thread etc,
as this one has many more bells and whistles.
 I have really lost my sewing mojo.
Use it or lose it - is very true. 

A couple hours this evening, and we are on our way.
Two rows are done and the third will be before bed.
Nine rows total, forming the center of quilt. 



There is one problem


This little bugger was not happy that his mama was ignoring him 
for so long. He is spoiled rotten thanks to covid and our isolation. 
There is a very comfy daybed up in the studio, but NOOOOOO
he wants lap time, lots and lots of lap time. 

I'm hoping that stating my quilt intentions
will force me to get this done or be embarrassed by failure.
Hold me to it alright?

Z






 

5 comments:

susan hemann said...

It is a wonderful quilt so far, love the colors
cannot hold your hand to the fire because I have a quilt I started 8 years ago! all I need to do is bind the edge! Do you think I could get to it???? Honestly, sometimes I close my studio door, the guilt ugh

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beauty if a quilt
It is similar to a design I like on Helen Phillips Etsy shop.
Your log squares add a pleasing dimension. The hand drawn stars bring a nice primitive vibe to the quilt.

Oh dear, I have never seen a sour face on a dog like that photo of Walter. It is a classic. His personality is stunning. Attitude, though, looks demanding :)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Did I know you were also a quilter??? ("Also" as in in addition to all your other talents...not as in I am one so you are "also" one LOL). You never cease to amaze me. And, yeah...I WILL hold you to it (provided I remember 🤪) because this is too good to let die on the vine. Your colors are wonderful. I have one (or is it 2? or 3?) little quilt projects that I started years and years and YEARS ago. If/when they are excavated (I have run across them from time to time), I look at the fabric and ask myself what the h*!! I was thinking. Anxious to see the final product. Just ignore Walter's skunk eye. 🦨 🤣 ~Robin~

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Wow!So cool when UFOs come together,that doesn't happen often enough for me! Like never. It's going to be awesome. Poor Walter.

Jillayne said...

When it's time, it's time. This looks terrific - I love those stars.