Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Neighborhood





Headed outside via the back porch early this morning.


I just had to see the roses some more while I sipped some Joe.


Ran into this sweetheart, a pair of them have been  hanging out back here. I need to spot the nest. 


First bud on the rose bush from my dearest son.
 First bush to bloom each year right 
after the banks roses.


A riot of color


Aggressive little bugger. See it reaching up to 
embrace the mesquite tree in the middle of the yard?
That will be clipped, 
but I cannot bear to until the blooms are past.


The trumpet vine woke up yesterday.


Another faithful performer.
This lady lasts all summer and drapes over the wall to a walkway.
The association gardeners slice off everything on their 
side of the wall.
Idiots


These have been on the outside porch table since September?
Wish I looked that good that long...



I cannot help it.
 I love the light on this porch.





 I have recently met some wonderful new folks
 in the blogging neighborhood, 
new to me, not to blogging,
 and I was talking about it with my friend Chania.
( A brand new Grandma as of this morning)
We discuss just about everything, like old friends do, and in the course of the back and forth emails I wrote this to Chania..

"I view it as a neighborhood. There are those that come in for coffee and stay all morning, and feed the dogs while you are away..then there are the ones you see at the mailbox now and again and you both ask about the kids at college and comment on the blight affecting the ash trees in the area and after 15 minutes you wave and go home. Then there are the neighbors you see watering their lawn as you walk the dog and you nod and say good morning and wave at each other's cars as you leave for work. Then there are the neighbors in their car who slowly drive down the street, open the garage door before even turning into their driveway, pull into the garage and begin closing the overhead without even exiting their car. The ones in the neighborhood no one knows...Hey I think there is a blog post in that last paragraph...lol maybe this weekend.."

I often get emails from new bloggers and just as often they bring up trying to grow their blog etc and I always refer them to 
"big" bloggers with the same goals as they have.
I still have this post from October 2010
on my sidebar, explaining my decisions about blogging.
Yes, my numbers have grown since then,
but my attitude remains the same.
Those of you that have known me for awhile
 know where I stand on this, my goal has always been, not in the numbers etc but on the relationships, friendships that have flourished here and truly, I mean this from the bottom of my heart,
ENRICHED my life.

We are a neighborhood with various tastes, wants, desires and needs. There is room for everyone.

Now and again someone crosses your path
and WHAM you connect, and it is magic how 
the friendship unfolds.

That does not negate or lessen the relationships
that are more casual, just as friendly, just as lovely.
They are all precious gifts.

Who wants a neighborhood where 
they're all made out of ticky tacky
 and they all look just the same?



Have a great week.

Z













13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well! You were "right on" in October 2010 and still ARE :)

P.S. I like the light on that porch, too.

P.S.S. I'm VERY jealous of the season you're enjoying. Spring can't come quickly enough for me.

The Boston Lady said...

So true, so true. Chania must be over the moon. When I saw her header I had to visit her quick. Your blue sky looks a lot like out blue sky today. Your flowers are lovely and I love the fact that the rose from your son is the first bloomer. Oh, and I'd like to live on your porch please. Ann

Jill said...

Oh gosh that song is hilarious! Ticky tacky?! We always say those neighborhoods and that feel are "pleasantville" Makes me laugh! That is one thing my town is not...not all the same for sure.

Kathy said...

Well said, my friend! I participate in blog hops, not to grow my numbers, but to connect with new friends - hence that frustration over the "no-reply" bloggers!
Love that you have Morning Doves in you yard!! I have only seen one pair in my life and it was while camping. I will never forget it because they hopped around our early morning camp like I wasn't even there. Lovely!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Z this is just so true! I think the first year of blogging I was interested in the number's, but now it's the friends. For me it really is the neighborhood and the close, casual and very casual relationships that are there. You described it perfectly!

Hugs, Linda

PS The roses are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

How true..The reason I enjoy your blog is first it is a great blog and most importantly I feel a friendship with you thru the blog and the emails exchanged..A friend indeed..Have a wonderful day..Oh and your flowers are beautiful and yes the association is crazy for cutting them..NuTs....

Cindy said...

Great Post! I just wish we lived closer so I could pop by for a cup of joe and a tour of your beautiful garden and home!
I can't believe your neighbor chops off the beautiful vines...

I agree with you on the different types of neighbors...I am an open door kind of neighbor, but living in the country, no one comes for a visit!

Have a great week!
xo

Lana said...

Suzan, I am finding it okay to be myself more and more through YOUR blog posts. First of all, I've always thought you must be so busy and almost "famous" because of the number of friends you have on here, AND you are "published", of course...but you are also so dad gum NORMAL!!! and REAL!! Love this post. I just LOVE IT. Neighbors wherever!!...and so thoughtfully described! *You've also given me the nudge to get my camera out today and keep it out!! (I agree. Idiots clipping back the blooms...) Okay. That's it.

Lana said...

oh yes. one more thing. Who in their right mind wants a little house made of ticky tacky!!? *I recall that song from years ago, too!! :)
Have a BEAUTIFUL DAY!! :)

Ivy and Elephants said...

I was so moved by your inviting porch and friendly manner. (And all the fabulous treasures on the porch didn't disappoint either!), that I've been peeking around and love what I see.
Following along!
Patti

Tina said...

great post Z - I love how you describe the blogging world as a neighborhood - you´re so right.

Love your porch too and the beautiful flowers in your garden, says I burried in snow longing for spring.
Have a wonderful day
xx

Jillayne said...

Great analogy z... blogging is such a great thing when we approach it with a "what do I have to give/share"?" attitude, rather than a "how do I get people to listen to me?" one.
Your plants and porch are lovely as always, especially the rose from your son - what a lovely gift.

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

What a wonderful post. I always read yours, not often do I comment but this one touched me. I love the idea of a neighborhood and that the internet has made the world smaller for so many of us. What pretty pictures, and I too love the sunlight on that porch. Can I just stay a little while? Minerva ~