Sunday, February 28, 2010

No Name Chicken Soup

This pic and additional info were added Monday because of emails I received:
This is what it looks like and if you are shy of spicy.., you may want to add less salsa verde to start. I don't think it is "hot" but just in case...you can always add more after tasting since you are basically just heating soup to temp anyway. I also did not include salt and pepper in the recipe, but you may wish to add either to taste. OK I think I covered everything.

I was just sitting down to a bowl of this soup and thought I should share. This one is so simple and so fast, I'm not even sure it should be called a recipe.
I got this from my sister in law Sarah, who got it from a friend, who got it from a beading magazine I think? Anyhoot...

1 deli roasting chicken - garlic herb style- remove meat from bones
2 cans rinsed and drained white beans ( I use cannellini style or small great northern)
2 cans chicken broth
1 can water
8 oz salsa verde ( I use La Victoria thick and chunky)
chopped cilantro to taste (optional for you but essential for me)

Add all ingredients into pot.
Heat for about 20 minutes.

If you need to stretch, buy the larger size chicken most stores offer, add more broth and water.

I keep all the ingredients in my pantry so that I can run by the store, grab salad fixings and a chicken and by the time I have the table set, dinner is ready: like right now. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

It sounds great....I enjoy using those pre-roasted chickens.
Sounds healthful and hearty too.

Rose

June said...

Yummy!!!! This is one that I will be trying very soon. Even I can do this I think Suzan. Thank you for sharing it. I think I'll get a chicken tomorrow!
hugs

erin's art and gardens said...

ooohhhh....i'll have to try that! sounds delish!

Carole said...

Oh not fair....I'm pretty hungry here. I just love making soup. I make big pots of it so we get a few meals out of it. I could sub soy chicken. It's really pretty good but I usually have to get it at Whole Foods.
Hope we can get to meet in the Fall. That would be a treat!
xo...Carole