Monday, February 1, 2010

Amish Chicken Casserole Post # 195

Well, I am 7 for 7! Seven people have told me they tried the Spicy Wine Pot Roast and they loved it! So, let's try another family favorite. I suppose I should say this is THE family favorite. Requested every time they need comfort food.

When I was younger, I had to cook a lot for the family when my Mom was ill, and I cut this recipe out of some woman's magazine and copied it onto a Holly Hobby recipe card. It is crumpled and stained, but I still keep it behind the nicely typewritten one. This casserole reheats beautifully- just slap some on a plate and nuke. I noticed while retyping this it says 30 minutes on top and 20 minutes on the bottom of the card. OK! I was at most maybe 12, cut me some slack.


Here it is legible:

Amish Chicken Casserole

12 oz noodles( I prefer wide)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups cut up cooked chicken ( we only use breast meat) Yes, you can use a deli chicken, just get plain though.
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat 350

Cook noodles- drain

Meanwhile in skillet, melt butter and cook mushrooms until soft, do not brown. Blend in flour, then gradually add broth, milk, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until thickened. In greased 2 1/2 quart casserole, combine noodles, chicken and pour sauce over top, and gently mix in. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 20- 30 minutes or how about 25? Serves 6-8.

Let me know how this one works for you.

No comments: