Sunday, December 29, 2019

Saying Goodbye


A lovely guy came early this morning to pick up 
this table. Hannah had re-listed it for sale and this time
Bam! right away.

Slowly but surely my things are going 
away to new homes and making new memories.
As they were loading pieces onto the truck, 
I started weeping and Hannah my sweet girl
immediately understood why.

I got a tremendous buy on that table and
 bought it specifically for this house
26 years ago. I painted all the pieces
including the china cupboard that is now
also gone after the Oct sale.

So many memories took place 
around that table. Birthday parties,
holidays, my annual Christmas sit down
dinners for 12 friends,
and every night dinners when it was
still the four of us. 
So happy and grateful for our home 
and our family. 

Minutes after the buyer drove away,
I was saying goodbye to darling daughter and 
her loves Tom and David.

The tears then flowed some more.
I am so weary of saying goodbye.
Being forced to let go of loved ones 
and cherished keepsakes,
even though it is the process of life.

These two


"How lucky I am to have something
that makes saying goodbye so hard."  pooh



8 comments:

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Just remember all of the wonderful times you have spent around that table with friends and family ...... no one can take memories away...... and it sounds as if it has gone to a really nice home to make more memories. XXXX

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh...that quote. I want to print it out and frame it. You have had too many losses and changes lately that would make anyone be in a bad state.

I get the table, I think many can identify with this. The gathering place, where you sat alone with a cup of tea or worked on a project. Most of my journal writing was at our table, tears fell on it. We've had it for over thirty years, a huge buy from Pottery Barn for $300. Well worth it. The table has beautiful scrapes and scars, and the chairs are still beautiful and sturdy. I think if there were a fire in my home, I would carry this table out on my back...well after the pups and my guy.

Do you have plans for NYE? I'm usually in bed at 9:00 and then pop up when I hear the fireworks. Our neighbors come out on their porches to bang pots and pans...a long time tradition in Chicago.

Love you, lady!😘

I have a post up if you want to stop by.

Jane❤️

susan hemann said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!! I totally understand how hard life changes can be!! It is not necessarily the objects but what they represent- the memories. It feels as if, when you part with a much-loved thing all the memories will go with it, but truly that is not the case. All the love moves on to someone else, but your memories remain intact.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

I so understand your feelings. Letting go is incredibly hard to do. Keep the memories in your heart, no one can take them away. I love all Winnie the Pooh quotes, that one is a good one. I'd like to plaster a wall with them! hmmmmm....

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am going to downsize some more in 2020. Once I get my Mom to another place to live I want to minimize my life so it isn't so hard. Those memories get you every time.

mary scott said...

Heartbreaking. 😪💔

The Boston Lady said...

Z,

I was blubbering at my old blog life today and clicked on yours on a whim.I don’t know if you remember me, but I’ve never forgotten your kindness in suggesting off strip Vegas sightseeing. Then you were so. Kind when my life flipped over as we relocated from Florida to the LA area.

I am sorry to hear about your health struggles and the loss of your beloved Howie. I rejoice at all the good fortune your kids are experiencing. I commiserate with what are surely your. Feelings of uncertainty as you prepare to downsize and move while dealing with health issues.

We are still in LA area (San Fernando Valley). I’ve been dealing with some health challenges in recent years and will say I’m grateful for the excellent medical choices I’ve been able to access.

Just wanted to let you know I said a few words directed to the mysterious workings of the universe and if you need any help or company when you settle in, please reach out.

Ann
Annweissmueller@gmail.com

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...


Hugs to you, dear friend. No words I say will help the grieving, but your last statement there is so true. I think a few "new" things.. like a canine companion that is the right fit.. will bring a much needed lift.