Friday, May 28, 2010

DJR's Spaghetti Pot


Noticed my Dad's spaghetti pot the other day.
He loved this pot and brought it clear across the country
to give to me. He told so many people about his special pot.
I decided to make, well, spaghetti..
Should not talk on phone while cooking or you have
boil over...oops

Decided to make a version of "fresh taste sauce" I saw on PBS last week.
I did not write it down, just tried to remember what they did,
so I don't know how close I am to their recipe
but here is what I did.


Why Dad loved this pot; the built in strainer.

It tastes very fresh, is very inexpensive to make,
and without the excessive prep needed
of other homemade versions I have tried before.
Get your water boiling:


2 cans of crushed tomatoes or 1 ( 28 0z) (Muir Glen)
I couldn't find crushed that day so I used
diced and ran them through my Todd English Pulse Thing.
(Just make sure the first ingredient on can is tomatoes, not puree, or
that means the tomatoes have been cooked already)

about 1/3 of small onion grated, yes I said grated, that way you
have subtle onion flavor not bits of onion
2 Tb butter (real butter)
1/4-1/2 tsp oregano you decide

Saute the grated onion in the butter slowly until golden, do not let brown
add the oregano and about 1/2 tsp salt
add 2-3 large pressed garlic cloves

Add tomatoes
1/4 tsp sugar

While tomatoes simmer gently, get spaghetti going.
I used the thick old fashioned kind
Right before serving add to sauce some good olive oil about 1 1/2 TB
Then add about 5 large leaves of basil. ( chiffonade)

Toss about a cup of the sauce with the spaghetti.
then pour the rest on top to serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

You could have simmered this on the stove
for hours. Don't tell, I won't.

5 comments:

Diane said...

This sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it next time. That spaghetti pot looks like a winner to me (even if it does boil over.)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi, so glad you came by and you are so right, I walked back into that dining room every few minutes just to enjoy it! Your spaghetti looks delish, one of our favorite meals. The built in strainer is a great idea!
have a great weekend,
Debra

June said...

YUM, YUM, YUM! I have got to stop blogging at night, 'cause when folks show their great food...it really messes with my figure.hehe
Spaghetti sounds so good right now. Darn you Z.
hugs

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hey Suzan
I agree with June!!! darn spaghetti post! looks so yummo and I'm off wheat!! arrghh....

Actually I always wanted a pot like this.. always loved my spaghetti... must be the wannabe italian in me!!! buon appetito!!! xxx Julie

Tanya said...

I would KILL for that spaghetti pot. Hell, it might even make my Italian mother-in-law jealous of me!