Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Z's Accidental Kitchen


Lunch yesterday with accidental choices.


Decided to change my "stand by" chili recipe.
Started by adding green pepper, I never did before.
Halfway through I remembered another stand by in freezer.
Menage A Trois from Trader Joe's.
So picked out red and yellow peppers and used those also.


Kept spices the same.
I only use Gebhardts.
This will not taste the same with something else.


Whoops no tomato paste!
A quick google and a can of diced tomatoes.
Pull out my favorite Todd English gizmo and puree.



Then begin to boil down.
In my favorite Todd English green pan.


Till it gets like...well, a paste.


After browning some
 ground round this time 2 1/2 #, recipe calls for 3,
 remove from Mom's chili pot, and drain well.


Yep, this was her chili pot,
now easily over 50 years old.
Add some EVVO and add garlic, peppers
 and onions and saute till soft.


Then add the seasonings till all veggies are covered.



Add in the paste, canned or home made.




Add in 4 cups beef broth (says recipe)
 or my choice three cans.



Bring to boil and and then simmer 
partially covered for 1 1/2 hours.
Add beans 30 minutes before serving.


This time I added 1 can of black beans, 1 can of kidney.



Topped it off with some grated sharp white cheddar 
and a wee bit of leftover Tres Pinos.
Very wee bit, but it was lunchtime after all.


The recipe:
Here is the Original from my longtime friend Bernie.
We shared this every Halloween 
at her house for over a decade.
I still make it then,
and when I need comfort from the cold like yesterday, 
and today as well. Makes a nice big pot.

3 # hamburger
6 TB veg oil (I use far less EVVO)
2 C chopped onion
2 TBS chopped Garlic
1 TB Chili Powder
1 tsp grnd oregano
1 tsp grnd cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can tomato paste
4 C Beef Stock/Broth
1 tsp salt
Black Pepper
1 1/2 C kidney Beans ( drained)

So I changed it up and I like my new version better. 
For me it's a keeper, with maybe even 
more red/yellow peppers next time,
and maybe only black beans.
Accidental success.

Been getting good feedback to PU
yesterday's post,
so please join us and show us.
You just may help someone else 
get started.
I hope to have my first group up tomorrow.
See you then.

Z


12 comments:

Tanya said...

Looks like a very successful accident, indeed! In fact, now I'm hungry - thanks for that. Stay warm today, Z...XOXO

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

That sounds and looks very good... Great on a cold winter day...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe..It looks yummy..Now I am hungry for chili..Have a great day..

Jill said...

You'll love this...I am purging far more than 100 items...huge load donated to thrift store last week. That is nothing new just hadn't had a chance to take clothes and such for awhile. Now, to get my overload of junk....

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Deeeelicious Z ..... and that pot of your mum's has cooked a few meals !! I love chili and I like the way that there are a thousand ways to make it. I have eaten it at many of my friend's houses and it's always different ..... always delicious but always different. XXXX

Kathy said...

Looks delish! I used to have an old pot like that. It was given to me (used) when I first left home and I used it at least another 30 years. I SO regret replacing it with the new, modern one. One of the things I purged and lived to regret!

time worn interiors said...

yummy!
tot

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love a big pot of soup, chili or stew on a cold day. This looks great. I was gone all day but will work on my PU tomorrow!! hugs, Linda

Sea Witch said...

I love a good chili receipe but I really like that you are using that old pot. Such good energy from this cooking utensil.

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Looks delicious! I love a good chili~Cheers Kim

June said...

That will take the chill from the bones I think Z! It sounds delicious! Dale and I have been living on chili this winter. Love it!
lots of love...

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

YUM. This looks delicious. Look at all your Todd English goodies. I need to keep this recipe!
Karen