Monday, November 29, 2010

Rituals

Although organized and tidy, as we have discussed in prior posts,
I do not consider myself a ritualistic type.
No one day is similar to the next except in the fact that
they are usually busy days.

The last few weeks I noticed an inclination toward
a daily pattern in many aspects of my life.
Is this due to age or necessity? Am I becoming a
"set in her ways" kind of gal, and
is that a good thing or a bad thing?


Minutes after my feet hit the floor in the morning I am
found here. This cup, this coffee, this creamer.
I used to buy whatever half-caf coffee I came across
but I have settled on this one it seems. I am NOT
a coffee connoisseur by any means., which you can tell
by my no frills machine. I just want 2 cups
that don't bother my stomach and send me into hyper orbit.


I've noticed I now use a soup spoon instead of a teaspoon.
What the heck is that about?

If I back up even one step I smack into these two.
As I enter the kitchen they are tossed a treat from the
dog treat jar on this cart to
tide them over until I pour the coffee.
Then, the looks of "FEED ME.... NOW" ensue.


My ex - ex mother in law ( you figure it out) had a weekly
routine that I found absurd way back when in my mid 20's.
Monday was wash day. Tuesday she ironed.
Wednesday she shopped with her two sisters.
Thursday was clean house day. Every Friday night they had take out pizza.
Sunday dinner was ALWAYS a beef roast, potatoes and green vegetable.
Her home was orderly, very clean and uneventful.
Now that I am about the same age as she was then,
I see a purpose, a rhythm that I now find appealing.
As we age, do most of us find comfort in the ordinary, the routine?
Does it take years of living to obtain the rhythm, the rituals that comfort us,
as our favorite family foods or a cup of coffee do?
Why do I still frequently wear the same torn, stained, paint spattered
faded red zip front sweatshirt purchased from The Limited over 20 years ago?
I have many others, but always reach for this one, as I did this morning.
Comfort ~ Ritual
good things


19 comments:

glor said...

Yes, I can relate. Finding myself much more regimented then my younger days and loving it! I haven't been able to figure it out either.

Candylei said...

Ha ha... I like the hyper orbit part. I've been there after drinking a couple of starbucks coffee at night and then I paint into the wee hours. Then I am always astonished that I'm not sleepy, even though I know the answer.
Happy creating however many cups of coffee it takes. :-)
Candylei

the old white house said...

Sometimes I wish I could follow a routine, I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants! I do however have one tried and true routine, coffee first thing as sit in silence usually at this contraption, playing catch-up. Embrace the comfort. Theresa xoxo

marcia said...

I am so NOT the routine person in that I shop when we are out of food and do laundry when we have no more clothes to wear But...there is a flow to each morning. Upon awakening I go to the window to see the horses in the paddock, or at least make sure they are IN the paddock. Then I make coffee and watch the birds out the window and any other visitors in the garden. I take my coffee back to my room and write. Soon it is time to go out to the barn , after I check email of course <>.
Routines can be comforting. . .if we get to choose :)

happy day!

Char said...

i'm set in some of my ways - i find it more efficient now that i've learned...so yes, i think some of that is age...errrr, experience. *Smile*

there is a certain comfort to knowing what you're doing as long as it's not so rigid that you can't escape to fun now and again.

My Grama's Soul said...

I, too, think rituals are comforting.....especially when one become of a "certain age". However, one is NEVER TOO OLD TO MIX IT UP A LITTLE!! I know you agree.

Xo

Jo

WhiteWhispers2u said...

I think we all are set in our ways a lil bit here and there that is for sure.It's o.k Life is good~Cheers Kim

Jules said...

I definitely can relate, mine is more a chaotic routine :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Olive said...

I think that order and rituals create comfort. I wish I had an ironing day!

Blondie's Journal said...

I wonder if I am ritualistic or just stubbornly set in my ways! I think in this crazy, unpredictable world, we have to have some order in our lives and it may just be that simple cup of coffee done in our own individual way. And I think it keep us sane!

Great topic!

XO,
Jane

D.B. said...

My two least favorite words are ROUTINE and MUNDANE. My mother was very much like your ex-ex. Ughhhh! I'm still out here mixin' it up babe and just ask my five year old son - I'm OLD!

Kathy said...

I wouldn't know since I'm only 24. hahahahaha!! Try 54!~ and you are right. There is comfort in the familiar. I have a grody white sweatshirt jacket I wear all the time. Especially, if I'm feeling a little less than perky. Yup. You gotta have it. A little routine is a good thing. Keeps us happy.
Cheers - Kathy

Jane said...

I can relate to this one too! Coffee is definitely my morning ritual....Starbucks French Roast with chocolate creamer. And when I come home from work I put on my same sweats and get ready for a cozy evening at home.
Jane

June said...

The only set routine I have is...every morning, as soon as I am dressed, I head down to the corner C-store to get my first fountain diet coke of the day. I sometimes sit down with the guys and gals at the 'round table' or sometimes just give them a wave. In a town of less than 500 hundred people, I know most everybody on a personal level. I always leave this place with a smile on my face!
Just a little routine of mine.
hugs,
june

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

I do have my routine, specially around coffee and old sweats...but I draw the line at any similarity with my Mother in Law (kill me now!!!)

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I have definately had a routine since, well forever! Some parts are very close to those of my parents, however, if I start to serve dinner at 3:30 I am in trouble!!

from me to thee......... said...

Oh I LOVE this post because of the truth in it....and as I too got older, I often said to myself "Iam my mother after all"....I love ritual, comfort that comes with it...thanks, smiles, Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the helpful post! I would not have gotten this otherwise!.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Can’t wait to read the next ones :)