Tuesday, September 9, 2014

400' Of Cute Studio

Slightly over 400' sq feet studio
Borrowed treasures from home, some
film castoffs and craigs list 
and creativity = a charming space for DD.
I think she made a wonderful nest. 


Aunt Iva's old trunk (storage)
This IKEA couch has (storage) under the chaise area and there
is a pop up section, that turns it into a queen bed for guests.



DD remade the butterfly collection 
she found cheap in thrift store.
We found the shelves at Target
 for less than $21 total including brackets.
 Most of knick knacks are from her room at home,
and painted vases $4 ea at target clearance.
Boxes and tins hold desk supplies since she has no drawers.
Simple table used for desk


Divided cubby from Mom's hallway
 frees up limited cabinet space.


Vintage yellow cabinet from my
 family room acts as a pantry;
they secured it to cabinets behind. 
It also helps visually separate the kitchen.
Chalkboard back of cabinets backs up to couch,
and provides "leaning" area.


These were the two unpainted cabinets 
we bought from Lowe's and then we added a laminate top. 
This added two cupboards and two drawers to kitchen
as well as much needed counter space.
I found orange top canisters for $4 each.


Vintage cabinet on right from DD's room at home,
dining table from Mom's living room.
Chairs - We got deal from Target for $17 each due to 
metal caps missing from legs. Pays to "Ask for discount"
Linens from home
Stacked end tables $24 make another bedside table
and two bins inside act as drawers and hide clutter.
Rusty wire circle memo holder was
 found in desert dump in lala.
The trunk moves to the base of bed 
when couch is in pull up mode.
Bed on risers with end to end bins (storage) underneath.


Metal calendar purchased at BIG NSS sale,
 painting is one of DD's.
I just bought her the above sink drainer from IKEA,
since there is no other space to air dry dishes.
I thought it was so clever.
Except for fridge you see the
 entire kitchen provided by apt.

Believe it or not they could entertain 10 for dinner
with the seating inside and on porch. 
Folding table, two chairs from Mom's yard
sit on wee patio.

Atrium on bottom floor sends all this green up to her,
along with lots of hummingbirds.


The whole studio is rich with color- hard to tell here..
Blue tiled fireplace and wall mounted tv area
are the last space being tweaked (show when complete)
Two closets and a small bath complete the space.

I could live here so easy peasy.
Yes there is more purging, downsizing,
simplifying headed my way.
I am obsessed with the tiny house movement.


8 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Loving her tiny space. I keep downsizing also and feeling so much better about a simpler life!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Such a great space! I am intrigued by small homes right now also!

Jillayne said...

So cute - and so creative! It's amazing what you can do with limited space and a budget... I am in awe. And I am also wanting a smaller space... less crap - less, less, less. So inspiring.

Tracey Broome said...

Cute, cute, cute! We moved into a house half the size of our previous home about ten years ago, sold soooo much stuff, and I can't remember any of it, except my piano. It's interesting how much "stuff" we carry around with us that we don't need.
I have Lloyd Kahn's book on tiny homes and I see he has a new one out about tiny homes on wheels, now that's what I really want, a house that will float or one I can drive around!

Lana said...

I LOVE THIS, SUZAN!!!!!!!!! So cool!!!!! (does anyone say that anymore...besides me?) I would be happy as a clam in this space, too. I am NOT a fan of the "largess" of everything on earth...absolutely love what the two of you have done with this. Lots of creativity and "good noggin'" ideas!!

Jill said...

This was fun! You two did an excellent job! My daughter was looking at a 375 sq ft. studio but we opted for the bigger one for her. Plus the bigger one was closer and safer in my opinion. Looks like a wonderful homey spot for her.

c. Joy said...

Nice. What is the purple wall color? It looks good and erases the "this is a temporary place" feeling.

Kit said...

What a great space! Love the wall treatments! Kit