Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Still Hanging in the Garden


I cannot seem to leave the garden these days.
Our days of comfortable weather here are short lived.
They are predicting we'll hit 90 today.
So begins my hibernation.

Most of the pink roses are getting ready for their second round
of blooms, while the whites are returning now with their next showing.





This little lady cannot decide which side of the family she belongs to.

The trees in the yard, mesquite and ash, are now in full canopy,
protecting me from the sun
trying to pierce through and drive me indoors.

Fortunately, this bush is clearly visible indoors
through the dining room window.
Don't forget to visit all the other WW's over at
Faded Charm hosted by Kathleen
---------------------------->
Meanwhile:

Roof Top Drama Ensues
My visitor returned a lone soul

He began to puff and make a racket and when I scanned to the left

A lady and a rival for her affections

They began the courtship dance;
their version of the Macarena I suppose.


The rival began to puff and ignoring the competition
placed all of his attention on the lovely female.

A wise move as she began to lure him in her direction.

He appears to be the victor and with a quick, hop

and a skip the battle has been won.


He seems unable to figure out the error of his ways.
Should he have puffed more, or vocalized louder?
He hung out here for hours calling for companionship.
I hope he found love after I went back inside.

22 comments:

June said...

Amazing that you were able to catch this love dance on film. How fun it must of been to watch!
Your garden must be looking gorgeous. I love the pictures of all your lovely roses.
hugs

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Thanks to all the rain, my roses are also looking beautiful. Enjoy yours!

Alaina said...

Beautiful roses. Today as much as I wanted to work in the garden,mmm
45 was just not doing it for me.
Thank you for sharing the courtship.

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Oh my Gosh! I love that ~ poor bird. I'd like to think he's better off. Your roses are so gorgeous, I can smell them all the way in cold, clammy CT. Thank you ~

Sarah said...

So this is what it's come to in our middle age.....vicarious bird sex.

oldgreymare said...

Sarah,

Ok that's just hilarious! You know how boring my life can seem some days! hehe

z

Carole said...

Yeah what wrong with bird sex! lol
sometimes you just have to find it where ever you can. too funny
Love the roses...omg did you get a new camera? just gorgeous....hey I just got an email from you. we must have esp! or as G says espn.

xxx
Carole

clustres said...

Such pretty roses! I'm with you, I want to hibernate when it gets over 90 degrees! Pam

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Your Garden is Beautiful, Such Gorgeous Roses..... Thanks for Sharing

the old white house said...

Your roses are beautiful! The bird dance you shared reminded me of what my daughter told me of her trip to the zoo this week, she said the peacocks were going crazy and she got to see one male do his mating dance and it was amazing! Discovery channel for sure on your roof! Theresa

erin's art and gardens said...

lovely roses, ours are in bud now. loved the bird story, but gotta tell you...i love the TILE on the roof even better! o.k. menopause has me more interested in the roof than the sex games...sheesh.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Your roses are simply beautiful! So happy I stopped by!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Beautiful Roses! And the courtship dance, how fun to be able to see that. xo Lidy

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

What beautiful blooms! ...and the birds on your charming roof are too funny!

Olivia said...

Oh please please come help me with my flowers yours are so very pretty! Stop by and say hi! I am new,
Hugs,
Olivia

Blondie's Journal said...

Your roses are just lovely!! I have never been very good growing the...just admiring!

xoxo
Jane

Miss Gracie's House said...

The roses are absolutely gorgeous!
Rene

René said...

Your images of the rose are stunning! So happy to find your blog.

Rebecca said...

Good Morning
The bird dance was great, they look like they might be a little noisy. Your roses are beautiful, I haven't been in my garden hardly at all yet. But the lilacs are in full bloom here and the whole yard smells of lilac...heaven
Blessings
Rebecca

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Loved your beautiful images of your lovely roses. I just love roses,
they are so delicate and elegant.
So nice you can see them from inside your home too.
The birds and their courtship routine must have been a lot of fun to watch. I love seeing critters in nature. I recently caught a beautiful cardinal in my birdbath,
and posted it last week. He came back a few days later and I got some even better shots. Love the zoom technology of these cameras and that you don't waste film so you can shoot away and take all the pics you want, so at least you have a chance of getting some really good shots.
Enjoy those roses and the birds,
Have a beautiful day,
Blessings, Nellie

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Oh SuZan
So sorry to be late to your post.. not sure how I missed this one.. i really am losing my marbles....

Well these roses and your photos are just GORGEOUS!!! you have captured them so beautifully!!!! I still think a rose looks so much nicer in the garden than in a vase.. and your photos are proof!!! and well the bird sex.. hahahahaha.... yes that's about how it goes.... you bird spy you!!!...

Now question.. the photo of the sun peeking through the tree... is that a Jacaranda tree I spy!!! looks awfully similar to the monster over my balcony where the cockatoos , magpies and rosellas do their own little bird rituals...

Sorry again for being so late.. xxx Julie

Boxwood Cottage said...

Aw this is heartbreaking!!