Saturday, August 7, 2021

Living Room Toss Up

I was doing a living room deep clean

 before the troops arrived from CA last weekend.

I had rolled up the carpet

 (later a dispute over calling it carpet versus mat occurred),

and had put rollers under the bakers table that weighs a ton.

Since I could easily shift things around, I started playing.

I have always hated the bowling alley feel of the room and tried multiple

times over 27 years to adjust using sofas but it never stuck for long. 


After about 20 minutes I landed on this and then

waited to see what the weekend brought.

Other than the dispute over what to call the carpet/mat,

the opinion was to keep the new arrangement.









We ended up sitting in that room several times over the few days,

which NEVER happens.

I also ordered two new lamps from HOME DEPOT, 

pleasantly surprised by their selections.

They are incredibly well made and terrific price points.

Both by JONATHAN Y


It is not ideal, perhaps not even meeting any requirements

for "design", but I like it.

The old LR made it into several design magazines

but just always felt cold to me. 

This way, everyone was in a chair actively engaged with three small 

pups playing in the center, and one large pup

asleep near the dining table.

If I'm going to be confined to this house again this fall,

due to pandemic reboot then I want cozy.

...and there are 2 spots for Christmas trees 

without changing anything, so plus plus.


8 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hello Z....yes, I made it back. Blogger messaged me saying the "issue" had been resolved. I will be eternally grateful, but was surprised. Now to play catch-up. I love the new look (although I liked the "old" look too from what I recall)....Very inviting....I like the close proximity of the table to the "lounging" area of the living room....and lucky you to not have to move furniture to accommodate a tree. I went treeless last year...for many reasons, but one was that I always have to move at least some furniture....and about the only place I can move it to is the basement....which I cannot do. It's good to be back.... ~Robin~ (PS...I vote mat 😉)

Barbara said...

Wow! Big change - I didn't even recognize this space, and I've been following you for years. The different areas look inviting! I have one of those floor mats, too. I love it and it's practically indestructible!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I love the rug. :) And the arrangement.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Wow that is amazing, keep it! I have always liked Home Depot light fixtures and their prices.I have never really looked at their lamps,I am going have a look now! My furniture arrived that we ordered last October, I have been playing for days. I think I'm almost done.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

I vote rug ;-) Mats are little things for the table tops or by the sink or door. Carpet is wall to wall. Just my opinion :)

Kit said...

I really like this layout!! I can just see you and your loves sitting there and chatting. Yay!!! Kit

Jillayne said...

I like this new arrangement very much - nothing like comfy chairs gathered round to invite sitting down and striking up a conversation. I don't know why but sofas seem way more formal to me, but a room with just chairs for seating makes me gaze around, looking closely at each with it's associated table, lamp, cushion etc. as if they're a room unto themselves, each with their own identity - I hope that makes sense.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your living room looks very nice, Z. Your furniture is warm and cozy, so that alone makes the room inviting. Our living room has windows on three walls and a massive fireplace so I have a really hard time changing around the furniture at all. You could probably come up with something for me, but I've had it basically the same way for thirty-five years!

Enjoy those kiddos and pups!

Jane x