Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cookies and more Cookies

COOKIES - For three days I have been standing in front of the stove, sink, and counter making cookies. Cookies for an upcoming party this week, and cookies for the kids. Pepparkakor, Mexican Chocolate, Sugar, Raspberry Thumbprint, Molasses, Lemon Cheesecake Bars. Three are roll and cut out and decorate - time consuming but oh, so worth it. Making many, many dozens for gifts too.

In between the timers going off, I am wrapping party favors, friend gifts and Santa gifts and the tissue and tape are flying!

Counting down each and every day till my kids are home. Just mentioning it makes me giddy. I moved far away from my familial home when I was in my early twenties. I rarely saw my folks more than one week a year until they passed. I saw brother Scott even less. No problem, just life always got in the way it seems. I could not move there, they would not move here. I know I do not want the same situation with my offspring. It will be a few more years until I know where they will plant themselves, with semi- permanent roots, but I will live near at least one of them if at all possible. I tease them saying the first grandchild will dictate the move. Of course they may choose not to reproduce. At their age they have idealistic concerns about the world's future, as I did, maybe you did.....but I knew from the time I was very young that I wanted to have children, and thank heaven I did. They are my joy, my inspiration, my pride and I cannot imagine having had a life without them.

That is my Christmas. My children - almost home - almost Christmas.

Most likely I will be missing in action here and there for a couple weeks, squeezing in every second of time with them. I will try to catch WW and post some recipes and photos from my Starry Night party. If I miss seeing you here because you are busy, please let me wish you a very happy and safe Holiday Season. My sincerest best wishes to you and yours. I am having difficulty comprehending the idea of 2010...Didn't we just have Y2K?

There will be a Valentine Gathering - to be announced in January.

All the colors? it's 1:00 am and I'm getting a little sleep deprived and silly.

Merry Christmas!

Suzan the oldgreymare

1 comment:

June said...

Hi Suzan,
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around 2010 as well. I thought by now we would be wearing silver space suits and visiting the moon for holidays.
I loved reading about the meaning of Christmas to you. To be a mother is definitely a gift we give ourselves. I, like you cannot imagine a life without my children.
You just keep on baking those cookies to fill them up when they come home to roost.
hugs