Saturday, December 27, 2008

You have to try these!


Ben's work commute while home

I promised a few postings back that I would begin in 09 to give you a variety of fun things to look forward to such as recipes and patterns and so even before the dawn of 09 here we go!

I tried several new recipes Christmas Eve and these are two I have to share.
The first is so easy I cannot believe I haven't done it before and I will be making this to go on everything!
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
1 TB ketchup
1 cup red balsamic vinegar
2 TB soy sauce
Mix and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Careful, it can scorch easily. We dipped the prime rib into the reduction sauce but next time I will drizzle onto plate and lay meat across, it is that delicious. I never thought I would prefer this to my favorite horseradish sauce but I will make this reduction for every steak and roast, from now on. Imagine on a soft roll, with thinly sliced beef.

Roasted Brussels Sprout
Preheat to 400
1 pound, very fresh sprouts
3 TB good olive oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

To be honest I did not measure the salt and pepper, so do it to taste if you wish.
Cut off ends of sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to sheet pan and roast in single layer for 35-40 minutes until crisp outside and tender inside.... they will be brown. Shake or stir pan from time to time to brown evenly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with more kosher salt and serve hot. Even a die hard brussels sprout hater will enjoy these, or maybe at least tolerate them.


Ivan hanging out waiting for dinner

Ben has been gone a day and we miss him so much. For a skinny kid he sure fills up this house when he is home. We cannot wait to hear about all of his New York adventures.

Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi there...saw you over at Vicki's!!! I'm going to try these brussel sprouts...they look delicious!!!...Dzintra♥x