Saturday, December 13, 2008

Road Trip

Took a road trip to CA yesterday for some antiquing and came home with a few new treasures. I'll post pics later. Lovely day, though a bit cold and we skirted the rain that was hovering in the area. Ran into a great friend from San Diego. Dr Susan Stewart, who lived and taught many years here in Vegas just happened to be in the same old barn as we were! What a treat to see her and catch up.

Today was "make the dough day" for the cookie exchange I am hosting with Sue. I am posting the recipe for my Mexican Chocolate Cookies. Warning: Do not quadruple the recipe unless you want an hour long arm workout. What was I thinking? It started mixing up just fine, then I burned out the motor in my hand-held mixer, and had to revert to hand mixing. Called Hannah down for help and I believe she ate as much dough as she mixed. (It is great raw dough!) Too much dough to put into the Kitchen-Aid, so we pulled and stirred for a very long while. Finally got it all incorporated and it is now chilling. Will roll out tonight and tomorrow. Must be bad karma with cookies today. Talked to Pam earlier and she had burned the bottoms of her cookies this morning! If you are attending the exchange-wait until tomorrow to bake.

Mexican Chocolate Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4-6 oz semisweet chocolate melted

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and beat until fluffy.
Sift dry ingredients together, add to creamed mixture. Beat until well blended.
Divide dough into thirds and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour
On lightly floured board roll out and cut into desired shape ( I do hearts).
Place on greased cookie sheets or use silpats like I do.
Bake in preheated 375 oven for 8-10 minutes. I do not like them crisp, but you decide.
Cool on wired racks and then drizzle with melted chocolate. I use a fork.
Approx 3 dozen cookies depending on size of cookie cutter.

No comments: