Thursday, January 3, 2019

Grateful and Glorious


(Ben and Helene on the second half of their holiday in NYC)

I have stared at this white space for awhile now; usually it
just pours out without filter.

Fully describing the Christmas holiday
 is nearly impossible
for me this year.

The kids and grand-dogs arrived a few hours before 
my brother and SIL and we all began the festivities
on Friday the 21st around noon.

It did not stop until the last car and flight left.
Remember I have not spent a Christmas 
with my brother Scott since I was 21, 
and there were often 10 years between any visits.
 Many of those were trips home for me
 when my folks were quite ill.
As adults we had very little interaction,
or time together. 

There simply are no words.
My kids loved them, they loved my kids.
We cooked and cooked and did dishes 
and started it all over, each and every day.
We played games and looked 
at vintage Rennie family photos. 
Scott told them stories that I had forgotten,
and reminded them what their grandparents were like,
since my kids barely knew them.
He helped them understand 
where their Mom came from,
since Ben was only in PA when he was 5 
and Hannah was in utero.

I became a weeping willie, 
tears flowing at the drop of a hat.
I was/am so grateful for these days.
My SIL Crystal and I were sorority sisters, 
we've known each other since we were 17.
Lots of memories and drinking stories there. ahem
These two knew me as a child, a teen. 
They were there as my life
unfolded long before my children's births.
Important stuff.

I know I'm typing words here,
but I keep stopping as the images flow.
Scott fell in love with grand-dog David 
and the feeling was mutual as you can see.
They are cat people but maybe?



I had a list of repairs needed and Ben, Tom and Scott
fixed everything and installed electronics. 
What an incredible gift that was.
One was an exterior light that had been broken for 20 years!
Another was my microwave handle, broken off years ago, 
glued and re-glued till it was hopeless,
and since then I had opened it with a spatula 
stuck up into the bottom of the door!


Tom and Scott working on the door


Aunt Crystal made this cross stitch for Hannah's birth. 
We took a pic to reminisce 28 years later.

Darling daughter painted an old barn on canvas for me,
and Dearest son Ben gave me my 
own oldgreymare website, which will be up and running 
as soon as I learn how. I will be able to have a shop on line,
yahoo, so stay tuned.

Scott and Crystal gave my kids mementos from my folks,
such precious memories.

By now it all had me full out bawling.
I love all these folks so much.

I am blessed beyond imagination,
and so grateful for this family.

Happy New Year to all of you.










8 comments:

donna baker said...

Oh Suzan, so so happy for you. It was deserved.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh my dear friend. What a wonderful gift Christmas was to you, your children and your brother. So much love, memories and making new memories. I'm so happy for you. Sending a big hug!

Jill said...

Happy New Year!! Sounds like you had the happiest time in the old year! What a great blessing. ♥

Blondie's Journal said...

What an incredibly wonderful and heartwarming Christmas. I can't say enough about the joy togetherness and giving brings to all of us who have long stopped believing we deserve or could ask for it. You have lovely family, Z.

All the best in 2019!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Z ... what a fantastic Christmas/New Year it must have been for you all .... it must be hard, all living in different places, far away, so to meet up must have been so special. { love the photograph of them with the dog }
Happy, happy 2019 Z and I wish you a healthy one and many more happy times to come. Much love. XXXX

Kit said...

Oh how wonderful!!! Our children make all the difference. I am glad you had such a great holiday. :) Kit

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Such a wonderful Christmas with such a lovely family! Happy New Year Z, blessing for a healthy 2019.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Just the tonic your weary soul needed, what a wonderful holiday! Happy, Healthy New Year to all - xo