Monday, May 16, 2016

And Then We Went Back Sunday Night

Mother's instinct;
cannot explain it, but we
know what we know,
and I am not his mother but
 I knew Howie was just not right.
Although he was walking around 
and waggin' his tail and poopin' and peeing and 
eating and drinking,
this pooch had something wrong.

Sunday night around 9:30
he refused to get out of his bed,
and I was so afraid that if I went up to bed,
in the morning
he might not be with me any longer.

Sooooo
off again driving cross town to the emergency vet.
I opened the door saying
"we're back" to Angela at the desk.
This time he POOPED on  
the door stoop, not even making it into the 
room. A very crowded room of people
found this to be hilarious and of course
Howie was acting like all was well.


After hearing his story, Angela and
several other pet owners weighed in that he was 
just depressed and quite a few believed he 
was having "visions" of a returned ghost Justice....

I hesitated about a second and
even though there were two critical cases
ahead of me, we waited the 3 hours,
(now almost 1:00 am)
AND
the vet found that Howie had hurt his neck
and the behavior was due to pain that came and went.
When he got excited, car trips, vet trips etc
 his adrenalin activated and he pushed through the pain.
I recalled that he refused to use the doggie door
since Friday and the vet and I had an ahah! moment 
of he did not want to lower his neck!
Closer examination and BINGO

Lots and lots of $Benjamins$ later we came home
 and within a couple hours of meds he jumped on the couch
for the first time in three days,
and went into a deep dopey sleep.
I started weeping I was so relieved.

They advised I keep him off the stairs,
 and keep an eye on him,
since he would be "high"
so I slept (barely) on the couch.
This morning he is following me everywhere,
and very active in between pills.
I'm exhausted 
or the word of the weekend 
"pooped"
and now I have a stiff neck from couch.




Ghost Justice watches over him
and we'll both be sleeping the day away.
I am so grateful.

12 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That parent instinct is something to listen to for sure. So glad you found out what is wrong and he is on the mend. Now if you can just get some sleep!!
hugs,
Linda

amy of studio four corners said...

well, hopefully that is it for a while...they are just like kids - would be easier though if they could talk...

Donna Wilkes said...

So glad you took the time and $$$ to find out why he was acting strangely. I wish we had a doggie translator so our pet babies could tell us what is wrong.

Terra said...

So glad your sweetie is recovering and that the vet figured out it is a neck problem. Your instincts were right.

joanne said...

be it pet mom's or people mom's we know when something is not right. Glad you listened to your heart.

Blondie's Journal said...

Sweet story, Z, and you did good. I understand how hard it must be for a vet to treat animals when they can't articulate their symptoms. Nor us. My hubby has often asked me how I'm going to tell my doctor, "Milo is acting weird. That's all. Just acting weird. Not like himself." Okay.......

I'm glad yo hear mother and child are well and resting.

Jane

mary scott said...

Blessings to both of you. I still grieve over my 2 cats who passed 6-7 years ago, so I understand. (2 more cats have been rescued in honor of them.) Howie is lucky to have you for his mom.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Thank you Mary. I'm the lucky one. He brings me such joy and unconditional love.

Curtains in My Tree said...


So glad you found out what was wrong with little Howie
bless his little heart, he will be better now

Seems like we spend as much money on our fur babies as we did our kids growing up?

You both take a couple naps now

Tracey Broome said...

Oh Howie.....

Kit said...

Oh so glad your dog is doing okay. They keep us hopping don't they? You rest up and give those doggies lots of cuddling. I just reached over and gave my Sam Cat and big pat. :) Kit

Kathy said...

I am just catching up with my blog reading and so happy to hear they figured out what was going on. Who knew you could catch a stiff neck from a dog!